Biography of District Attorney John Morganelli
- Juris Doctor: May 1980, Villanova School of Law,
- Villanova, Pennsylvania 19085;
- Class Rank: 31/196
- Moot Court Board Member – Selection based on outstanding academic achievement at end of first year.
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science: May 1977
- Moravian College, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18018
- Class rank: 5/305
- Summa Cum Laude Graduate
- Final cumulative quality point average 3.90
- Perfect 4.00 average in major field of study
- District Attorney, Northampton County, Pennsylvania 1992-present; Elected in 1991 with approximately 60% of vote in primary and general elections; defeated 3-term incumbent District Attorney; re-elected, unopposed in 1995, 1999, 2003, 2007,2011
- President of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Institute 2002-2003; President of Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association 1999-2000; served as Vice-President and Secretary Treasurer of Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association and Member of the Executive Board 1995-2003.
- Instructor of Criminal Law Evidence and Constitutional Law, part-time, Moravian College, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 1982-1984; 2003-present.
- Appointed by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to Committee on Capital Litigation, 2003.
- Testified before the U.S. House of Representatives, Sub-committee on Immigration matters, 2003.
- Democratic nominee for Pennsylvania Attorney General, 2008.
- Testified numerous times before State House and Senate Committees on criminal justice issues including capital punishment, insanity defense, powers of the judiciary, racial profiling and guns and violence issues.
- Appointed Special Deputy Attorney General 1996-1997 by Attorney General investigating matters in Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties.
- Appointed to Attorney General’s Transition Team, 1996; served as Chairman of Drug Law Committee and wrote final report of Committee.
- Appointed by Governor Tom Ridge to Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency 1995; Chairman of Technology and Automation Committee 1996-1998.
- Appointed by Governor Tom Ridge to Governor’s Transition Team 1995; served on Governor’s Crime Task Force and Corrections, Probation and Parole Task Force.
- Represented Lehigh Valley at White House Briefing on President Clinton’s Crime Bill 1994.
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association; Legislative and Governmental Affairs Committee 1994-1996.
- Lecturer at Pennsylvania Bar Association Statewide Criminal Law Symposium 1999, 2001
- Solicitor to Bethlehem City Council 1986-1991.
- Served as special counsel to City of Easton investigating alleged Ethics Act Violation 1989.
- Assistant Public Defender, Northampton County 1982-1986.
- Assistant City Solicitor, City of Bethlehem 1981-1982.
- Served as Independent Special Counsel investigating alleged police misconduct, Moore Township, Pennsylvania.
- Served as Solicitor of Northampton County Constables Association.
- Trial attorney, private practice of law, civil and criminal practice 1980-1996.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Federal District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Northampton County Court of Common Pleas
- Northampton County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, past member
- Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association
- National District Attorneys Association
Renald Baratta Memorial Legal Award, 2013 Roseto UNICO
Social Security Administration, Philadelphia Regional Anti-Fraud Award for prosecuting Identity Theft cases, 2003.
Bethlehem UNICO Man of the Year 2003
Easton UNICO Man of the Year 1998
- Bethlehem Area Jaycee Distinguished Service Award 1994
- Outstanding Young Man of the Year 1983
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities 1976-1977
- Phi Alpha Theta, History Honor Society 1976
- Triangle Honor Society, Moravian College 1976
- Citizenship-Leadership Award from Veterans of Foreign Wars 1973
- History Award from Daughters of the American Revolution 1973
- John F. Kennedy Award for Leadership in Student Government 1973
- Notre Dame High School, Middle States Evaluation Committee 2005-2006
- Allentown Catholic Diocese Board of Education 1996-1998
- Bethlehem Northeast Little League, Assistant Coach, 4 years
- St. Anne’s Church Finance Council 1995-1998
- Bethlehem School District Task Force on violence in the schools 1993
- Board of Directors, Bethlehem Y.M.C.A. 1989-1991
- Easton Area School District Task Force on school safety 1995
- Bethlehem Area Jaycees – past member
- Moravian College Alumni Association – past member
- Boy’s Club of Bethlehem Fundraising Project 1984
- South East Neighborhood Association, Board member
- Born November 12, 1955
- Married, 1981 to former Diana Goretti
- 3 children